Among the many bridges spanning the Dighty along its length, two are particularly impressive – the high Seven Arches railway viaduct at Panmurefield, and the bridge with even more arches that now provides a pedestrian link between Fintry and Linlathen. But why was such a sturdy bridge built, for pedestrians?
An article in the People’s Journal of Saturday, November 24, 1956, sought to answer this question from one of its readers, “Mrs F.B.”.
"The bridge was erected by the Dundee Water Company between 1846 and 1847…(it) is nearly 500 feet long, with 13 arches, ..(and) didn’t start off as a footbridge at all. It carried the first water pipeline from Monikie over the Dighty valley to Dundee.
The engineers either had to take the pipeline over the valley by briedge or make a tunnel for it underneath the burn. They probably decided it would be cheaper in the end ot build a bridge. For if a water pipe needs repairing, and it is sunk under a stream, the job is long, troublesome and expensive.
The Dighty bridge used to be covered with turf to keep the water inside it cool in summer and above freezing point in winter. It was opened as a footpath and surfaced with tarmac, when Fintry tenants put in a special petition for the change.
The bridge makes a quick way to Linlathen School fo rthe Fintry Children. It now has two water pipes inside, both 15 inches in diameter.
There is another pipe bridge over the Dighty between St Mary’s housing scheme and Kirkton second development. This is not open as a footpath."